Wednesday 6 November 2013

russet, tan, sludge, mud, prune...




If you asked me what is my least favourite colour (after the dreaded BEIGE, of course) I would probably say brown.





But lately I seem to have developed rather a fancy for brown, although maybe I should call it more poetically russet, tan, hazel, taupe, sludge, mud, or prune...



(Which reminds me of some deeply trendy Biba eyeshadows I bought in the early seventies called Greige (a sort of greyish beige) and Poon (a dusty purple/prune colour). I wonder if anyone else remembers them?)



























Do colours take on more glamour if the name is more romantic? The colours of an old watercolour paintbox- viridian green (a glittering poisonous snake), Naples yellow (chalky-faced old villas on a sun-dazzled hillside), French ultramarine (Jean Paul Gaultier looking saucy in a sailor suit), rose dore' (a hand tinted photograph of a Victorian beauty with rosy cheeks) are so much more descriptive than mere 'green, blue and yellow'.





Maybe its the lovely bright autumn weather between the showers which has revived my taste for all shades of brown? We are lucky to be able to walk straight out of our back door into the field and through the woods, and we always find inspiration in the colours of the countryside.

So on a brownish theme, I recently bought the perfect fabric in the Eternal Maker, to make another ruffle-necked top. I was so pleased with the first one I made:

http://molebags.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/ruffled.html


And now I keep spotting likely fabrics to make more. You can make this top in an afternoon, and its so versatile for layering. I love the way the ruffle frays into a lovely texture.




I've also recently bought a brown cardigan (more romantically described as 'Gingerbread' on the label). 



So brown looks like being a new part of my autumn wardrobe. It needs a bright flash of colour though, also inspired by the glorious autumn leaves.





I couldn't agree more with Marigold: 

http://marigoldjam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/autumn.html


...that autumn and winter is the best time of year, when you don't need to feel obliged to spend all day outdoors, but can stay indoors by the fire and revel in creativity. I am so pleased with our redesigned studio space, and now can't wait to get making  again.

(I had a lot of assistance when taking these photographs, from the ever helpful Ruby. At least she's colour- coordinated!)




5 comments:

  1. Lovely post - the photos are beautiful and your ruffled top looks very chic especially with the cardigan and your chosen accessories. Ruby looks very smart in her colour co-ordinated outfit too! Thanks for the mention and link. Those apples are delicious I had one last night!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marigold. Fancy you taking some of my apples home! I wish you were nearer, we have TONS of them this year! C x

      Delete
  2. I can smell the paint box! Loving you as usual x I have some fabrics all the way from Canada that I think you will approve of, russetty leafyish......you will have to wait! Maybe one of them will become a ruffle top?........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a good time in Canada.. Yes, make a ruffle top, everybody needs one! C x

      Delete
    2. Well I was hoping that you would make it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...