Tuesday 29 November 2016

nostalgia

Last weekend I went to the Country Brocante at Cowdray Park in Sussex. Although I'm a complete Bah Humbug person about Christmas, I have to admit to a strong dose of nostalgia about some of the items for sale- amongst the shabby chic galore, and the trendily-white-painted cupboards exhumed from French pigsties were some gems from my childhood..

























My Mum had that Christmas cake ornament Santa, and the little boy on the sledge! They were made from some kind of plaster, and over the years of being stuck into my Mum's rock-hard icing they gradually absorbed the sugar, and took on a spooky coat of crystals. We also had the Christmas trees made out of bristles, although ours were always a bit wonky.

























Didn't have one of these dogs on wheels, but always wanted one...
























And as for this assortment, wow! Sooty xylophone, definitely had one of those! Beatrix Potter books! Jelly mould in the shape of a rabbit! (and a toffee hammer)


























My sister and I also had a whole farm full of lead animals, its a wonder we're here to tell the tale.
























I'm sure I heard on radio four that there's just one factory in Bavaria still making these beautiful baubles- I particularly love the ones with the 'dents' in them.
























Meanwhile, Jenny in Handmade Happiness has asked me for some Christmassy items for the shop. This year I am giving fairies with fat bottoms a starring role. Why should thin fairies have all the fun? They can be hung on your Christmas tree, or worn as a brooch.

http://jenny-handmadehappiness.blogspot.co.uk



4 comments:

  1. What a trip down memory lane! How many bloggers remember toffee hammers I wonder it's a wonder any of us have any teeth left but how I loved that sort of toffee! And one of my earliest memories is of a beautiful glass ball turquoise in colour decorated with a hand painted daisy which I loved more than eany of the others in the box - must be nearly 70 years ago now! Love the fat bottomed fairies - why should thin ones have all the fun indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in two minds whether to feel nostalgic or just plain old!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Carol for allowing those of us who couldn't visit the Winter Brocante fair to experience it through your blog. I wonder if there were any makers there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of it..very nostalgic...xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...